Saturday 15 March 2014

Stencil Tutorial, twice embossed.......

Morning all,
 
Happy Saturday, how are we all?....
 
Well as promised I said that I would bring you a stencil tutorial today so that's what I have done......
 
I started by choosing the Bouquet stencil from That Special Touch.  
I love this stencil as it has a bold flower pattern on it and when you dry emboss stencils, I find the bigger the pattern the better emboss you get to start with. The other stencil I used was Diamonds by Imagination Crafts......I also chose Stonewashed and Lettuce  Adirondak ink pads......
 
So the first thing that I did was to cut a piece of 300gsm super smooth card 6" square and using the bouquet stencil I run it through my die cut machine using an embossing matt to get a raised impression on the card, like below........
 
 

I then placed the stencil back over the raised areas and taped it down on to my craft mat using stencil tape.......
 
 
 
Using a white tile, my chosen inks and small pieces of cut'n'dry foam I started to build up the colour through the stencil and on to the card starting with a lighter layer first and then building the colour up to add shading, hopefully you can see in these pictures.......
 
 
First the lighter shading........
 
 
 
Then start to add some depth of colour by shading the edges deeper......
 
 
 
 
Once I was happy with the colours I wiped away all the excess ink from the front of the stencil and then I took a Clear Emboss ink pad and caked it through the stencil straight from the pad on to the raised areas making sure that there was plenty on there.
 
See how wet it looks......

 
( NOW you know when you have lots of embossing powders out and you are working away busily and then you realise that you have just put the excess powder from one pot in to another....yes I hear you say we have all done it!!!
Well I did this about six months ago with Wow clear powder and Wow clear sparkle so I now have Wow clear with a hint of sparkle powder and I have to say I love it and use it all the time now and when the sparkle starts getting low, I add a bit more.....See mistakes are good and yes believe me I make many!!!)
 
Anyway back to the tutorial........
I added the embossing powder on to the stencilled inked area, knocked off the excess and then heated and as you can see it look lovely and glossy with a hint of sparkle......
 
The stencil removed and embossing powder added.......
 
 
The look once I had heat embossed it........

 
  
The next stage was to add some background, so I took the diamond stencil and some Antique Linen Distress ink......
 
I placed the stencil on to the bottom of the card so that I had two rows of the diamonds on there and then inked through the stencil this time using a blending tool.......
 
 
I repeated the same at the top this time using one row of diamonds......

 
 
 
I finished off by adding more Antique Linen around the edge of the card with the blending tool.
 
 
 
I matted and layered the art work first on to blue card and then cream and then on to a white card.....
 
See what you think of the finished card.........
 
 


Now I know you will notice one huge difference and if you don't you are not observant enough
lol :-).......
I made the card first and then decided to do a tutorial on it!!.......however it is best to use the stencil around the same way when you do!!
Any how it also shows you that you can reverse stencils and this is great when you are building a picture and want to have flowers coming in from both sides framing a central theme.......phew I think that I got away with it eh?.........
 
 
I hope you can see the raised effect enough.......
 
 

 
 
A closer look at that hint of sparkle.......
 
 
 
Well that is all from me for now, I will be back tomorrow with a little more inspiration following on from this theme......
 
Until then, have a great day......
Big hugs Lisa.B.xx
 
 
Bouquet  Diamonds  Blending Tool for inks
 
EarthtonesAntique Linen Distress Ink Pad  Emboss Ink Pads
 
Adirondack Light Pads Cool Peri  Lettuce Adirondack Pads  WA01 Clear Gloss 160ml WS15 Clear Sparkle 160ml

14 comments:

  1. That is so very pretty! Thank you for sharing how you created this. I don't use my stencils much but will try to dig them out to make an entry for your challenge this month. Especially as I have a new pot of Sparkle Medium to play with - just haven't worked up the courage to use it yet lol! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, dig them stencils out and use them, they are great to play with and the sparkle medium is so easy to use. I have 24 colours going on my website tomorrow. Yummy!!.... . hugs Lisa. Bxx

      Delete
  2. That looks lovely and very effective. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go Yvonne, I would love to see your samples at the workshop next month........hugs Lisa. B. xx

      Delete
  3. Love the glossy look of the embossed areas, it makes the colours pop. It just occurred to me that with a stencil I can do double embossing to avoid a pitted surface from the EP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love embossing powders and using them with stencils give such a classy look to your project........hugs Lisa. B. Xx

      Delete
  4. Thanks for tutorial, I like double embossing, very pretty design today ,thanks for sharing,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Samantha, I love sharing, that what crafting is all about. Thanks for your comment.....hugs Lisa. B.xx

      Delete
  5. Using the second stencil over the first is a great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go Lisa, it is great fun........hugs Lisa. B. xx

      Delete
  6. This is gorgeous Lisa. Love the idea of using the stencils to emboss and then colouring through them. Love it.
    Mags
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Mags, have a go at it, it's great fun........hugs Lisa. B xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely card and lots of ideas there to have a go at. Thank you, Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jan.......hugs Lisa.B.xx

      Delete

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.