Thursday 13 April 2017

Snowdrops and Spring Colours


Good morning all! Martina here, with a Spring make using the gorgeous Craft Emotions Snowdrop Die, as well as some old favourites you may already have in your stash!

I seem to have 'a thing' at the moment with creating my own backgrounds using lots of elements I already have in my stash, including those you would not normally think to put together. I think this trend has come about mainly due to a huge reorganisation of my craft room and the realisation that I seem to have accumulated rather a lot of 'stuff'; I am determined to actually use it all at some point!

And so to this week's card...

I decided that it had been a while since I made a 'shaped' card, so that was my starting point. I found an edger type die, (similar to ones Lisa has on her website from Crealies) and used it vertically on a card blank to create a side-opening shaped card


Once the front was cut, I used the same die to cut a topper panel for the front of the card, allowing for some matting and layering in my measurements.


Once I knew the matts and layers I wanted to use and the size of my main topper panels, I got to work creating my backgrounds. Using Distress Inks in Squeezed Lemonade and Scattered Straw, I used a Blending Tool to colour my topper. I used some Bundled Sage Ink to bring in the edges and to stamp the dictionary definition from the Artistic Stamper Encyclopaedia Botanica Set (this is UNBELIVEABLY 46% off in Lisa's shop and a steal at £7.50, along with lots of other lovelies!). I stamped randomly, just to start to give some depth and to build up layers.


The next stage was to use the Hobby Art Daisies Stamp cross the page, stamped again in Bundled Sage Distress Ink.


In order to bring the yellow tones back in to the mix, I wanted to use a stencil. I masked off a few butterflies from the That's Crafty! Flight of Butterflies Stencil and then used Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink to dot them over the top half of my topper panels.



Using a sentiment from the Hobby Art Birthday Sentiments Set, I die-cut an oval and then coloured the middle section (whilst the die was still in place) with some more of the yellow tones.


Now for the snowdrops! I die-cut several bunches, ran them through again to emboss and then used a Blending Tool to colour them with the Bundled Sage Ink.


Making use of the embossing detail, I used Peeled Paint Distress Ink to highlight the raised areas and give a more realistic look.


I looked back at my original topper panels and wanted to add something more...using the same Artistic Stamper Set, I picked out the detailed butterfly and stamped him alongside the stencilled ones. Odd I know, but I like it!


With all my elements cut and coloured, it was time to assemble the inside...


and the outside...


Here is a slightly different version I made, this time colouring some of the background daisies with a white pen and yellow marker, a sentiment from Card-io and using a different die.



There we have it; not the colours I normally use, not a combination of brands/elements I would normally reach for, but why the devil not?!?

Thank you for reading lovely ladies and gents, I will see you next week for more crafty musings!

***Lisa is doing a PaperArtsy workshop on Sunday, May 28. For more information click HERE.***

Love,
Martina
xxx

Daisies HADinky Stencil - Flight of ButterfliesEncyclopaedia Botanica Mini Ink Blending Tools
Snowdrops CED Bundled Sage - MiniScattered Straw - MiniSqueezed Lemonade - Mini Birthday Collection HA



1 comment:

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.