Thursday 27 April 2017

A Spring Floral Card : When is a Snowdrop not a Snowdrop?



Good morning all! Martina here, using one of my favourite little Craft Emotions dies to add delicate bunches of flowers to a card. Guess what? It's my birthday today! I had to think how old I was going to be...it took a while, I have to admit!

I love Spring, not just because it is around my birthday, but because it is when the Earth breathes and smiles. It may be daft, but as I used to drive along the motorway to work, I would marvel at the totally random bunches of daffodils, crocuses, primroses, poppies and hordes of other flowers just springing up in deserted earth. I mean, they weren't 'planted' there by anyone, so to me, a bit of magic happened...

Anyway, enough waffling and back to serious crafting matter in hand! When I first saw the Craft Emotions Snowdrop Die I knew it was going to become a favourite. It is so petite, embosses detail in the leaves and petals, cuts all the petals together, is easy to assemble and easy to vary the look. After having a play, I also realised that there are so many different flowers you can make with it, one of which I will show you...

My first step was to make a background panel with an aperture. I used a die from my stash to cut an aperture slightly to one side, allowing for positioning and adding a sentiment later.


I then ran the card through an embossing folder and added some Wilted Violet Distress Ink over the raised areas (check out Lisa B. Designs for embossing folders at up to 71% off!!)


Keeping with the purple tones, I die cut a frame to fit my aperture using the same size die as before. Taking the next size nesting die down, I cut into the shape again to make the frame.


To make the snowdrops is so easy: I die cut all the elements from Super Smooth Card and then ran them through again to get the embossing detail. There was no need to do anything more with the petals, so I just used some Bundled Sage Distress Ink on the leaves, adding some Peeled Paint Ink to the raised sections. To make the crocuses, I cut down the leaves to make them shorter and turned the snowdrop petals upside down. Using pens, I coloured the centres yellow and the tops purple, striping down into the middle.


You could easily make these into magnolia flowers using branches coming from above, tulips, blossom, you name it; have a play and you will soon see! As the petals are all so individually shaped, you can easily select the ones you need for the type of flower you want to make...

To balance the card, I used some little wooden hearts from the Craft Emotions Owls and Branches Wooden Embellishment Set. I coloured the wood using Distress Ink and then added some Blackcurrant Sparkle Medium over the top - LUSH!


The addition of a handy little sentiment from the Hobby Art Birthday Set
and there we have it!


I hope you like it: see how many little 'smiles' you can find when you're out and about!

Love
Martina
xxx


    Snowdrops CEDBlackcurrant SM - NEW!!Birthday Collection HA
 Wilted Violet - MiniSuper Smooth White Bundled Sage - MiniOwls & Branches CEW


***Lisa is running a PaperArtsy workshop on Sunday, May 28. For more information click HERE.***


2 comments:

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.