Thursday 29 September 2016

Daryl the Quirky Turkey - and Friend!




September is nearly over! The nights are drawing in and I have been hoarding for Christmas. I always forget what I have bought though, and often where I have put it all!

For this week's card featuring Daryl the Quirky Turkey from Hobby Art, I have chosen the Daryl that I think looks like he is fleeing the scene, along with a stunned friend looking on! 

As always when I start using a stamp I need to colour, I began by stamping the image using Staz On Jet Black Ink and playing with colours. This time I used Spectrum Aqua Pens as they have such vibrant colours, but these can also be toned down for shading (at the moment Lisa only has a few sets left at UNBELIVABLE prices (25% off), so grab them HERE!) Once I was happy with the colouring and shading, I used the fine tips to add more specific detail to the feathers etc. I then created a 'master' Daryl and saved this for future use together with the stamp set.

Now to start to make my scene. I cut a piece of Super Smooth card to the topper size I wanted, allowing for the matts and layers I was going to use. I stamped the turkeys and then created some masks for each one using a sticky note.


With the masks in place, I was able to use them to add a background scene. Using a torn piece of paper, I started to add some sky using some Tumbled Glass Distress Ink, an Ink Blending Mat and Blending Tool.


Once the sky was in place, I used Mowed Lawn Distress Ink to stamp the tree stamps from the set into the background.  I then masked the sky and added the land part with some Tea Dye Distress Ink. With the turkey masks still in place, I used the fence stamp to add some depth and the small grasses in the foreground. It did not matter that my fence intruded into the land area, as I was going to colour it in anyway.


At this point, I decided that I did not like the scene I had created. Brown hills? Not very Christmas I thought, more like early Spring! Back to the drawing board and this time I left the hills white, using my torn paper to mask and allow me to add some trees behind. Much better!


Once the fence was added, I removed the masks to reveal my turkeys standing in a Christmas scene. The little grass detail stamp finished it off.


Using the colours I had practised with, I coloured my turkeys in.


For the next section, I followed the same technique I used in my post from last week, creating baubles and threading them through Daryl's feathers and securing behind. I also stamped and coloured the holly leaves and added a Christmas hat from another Hobby Art set (with the grumpy sheep on!). I wanted to add some speech for my characters, so I decided to make my own signpost and speech bubble. Using the sign in the set as a guide, I stamped the Merry Christmas sentiment (from a set I had in my stash) onto some paper and drew the signpost outline freehand. I cut this out and slotted into Daryl's feathers to make it look like he was carrying it. The speech bubble I created on my PC, again stamping a sentiment into it and sticking into place with Cosmic Shimmer.


Once the words were in place the card was almost complete, but I decided the sky needed some detail, so I added some stamped snowflakes. I also used a Zig Glue Pen to add Crystal Glitter frosting to the fences, sign and ground.


There you have it; Daryl in complete incomprehension at his friend's Christmas excitement! (not surprising really!)

I think this is my favourite card so far; I like the idea of the turkeys having zany personalities. I hope they do not put me off eating my Henrietta this year though (we always call our turkey that!)

That's it for today folks, see you next week for the last Daryl card from me.

Love, Martina
xx



Daryl the Quirky Turkey Super Smooth White    Tumbled Glass - Mini Mowed Lawn - Mini Spectrum Aqua Pens - EssentialsStazon Jet BlackTea Dye - MiniCosmic Shimmer Dries Clear Glue 125mlMini Ink Blending Tools2 Ink Blending Mats ZIG Squeeze & RollCrystal Glitter









2 comments:

  1. Love it Martina, tee hee he's just great. Jan -X-

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be my favourite card too, it's full of humour & character.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.