Monday 6 March 2017

Hobby Art's Oliver the Owl

Good morning, Kirsten here with the first of my Hobby Art projects for this month, I hope you had a nice weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed making my samples for last Friday's classes, using Hobby Art's new stamp sets; Oliver the Owl & Nature Reserve, as well as the Funky Bird & Funky Flowers stamps. Lots of the products used in our samples this month sold out at the classes, but Lisa will be ordering some more. On to today's project.................




I began by painting a That's Crafty! 20x20cm greyboard with Turquoise & when that was dry I painted a thin layer of Imagination Crafts' Crackle Medium on top..........




When the crackle was dry I began adding paint; DecoArt's Chalky Finish paint in Smitten & Yesteryear. I applied different amounts of paint & wiped some off the board too, then left it to dry.............



You can just about see some of the shimmer from the Turquoise Starlights..............




The next step was to begin adding stencilling & stamping. I firstly applied Chalk White MDF paint through a Craft Emotions stencil called Pine Sprigs. I followed that with black gesso through Imagination's Hanging Garden stencil. When that was dry I began stamping stamps from both the Oliver the Owl & Nature Reserve sets with Jet Black Archival ink. Clear images weren't important as most of them would be covered.............




While I'd been working I had been thinking about a border for the piece & at this point I decided that Imagination's new Structure Paste would be ideal. This stuff is AMAZING. It dries incredibly quickly - a thin layer will dry in about 4 minutes if put on a radiator/heater, in about 15 minutes if not & a thick layer will dry in an hour or two. You can layer more paste on top, carve into it, sand it, stamp into it & more. It's extremely easy to apply through a stencil, with no seeping underneath, but this time I just used a palette knife, applying different amounts of paste & using the palette knife to create texture................




When the Structure Paste was dry I dry-brushed Verdigris & Rustique Rusty Patina over it, building up layers of colours & I finished with Inca Gold Alchemy Wax.................




I stamped the owl & daisy heads & butterflies from the Nature Reserve set onto white card with Onyx Black Versafine ink, heat setting it with WOW!'s Clear Gloss embossing powder, then coloured them using various Distress inks as watercolours & cut them out.......







Time to start putting everything together.................







The finished project................





Janie's Collection - Nature Reserve - NEW!! Janie's Collection - Oliver Owl - NEW!!   Americana Chalky Finish Paint - Smitten  Americana Chalky Finish Paint - YesteryearStructure Paste   White/Greyboard Panels - Rounded CornersMDF Paint - Chalk White   Hanging Garden IMST    Archival InkVersaFine Ink pad - Onyx Black

     Media Gesso - Black    Rusty Patina - Rustique     Rusty Patina - Verdigris     Clear Gloss Regular WEP     Crackle Medium   

SM Spatula JT3


Lisa is celebrating 500 likes on the Lisa B Designs Facebook page with a little giveaway, it's open until Sunday, March 12, if you'd like to join in.

***On the website, some Hobby Art stamp sets have been reduced in price by 25% - 40%.***

I'll be back with more of my Hobby Art projects next Monday. Thanks for visiting the Lisa B Designs blog today.

Kirsten


1 comment:

  1. I love your owl's shimmering wings and the fabulous dimensional setting you've given him. Gorgeous scene.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.