Thursday 29 June 2017

Altered MDF Uprights: PaperArtsy meets Structure Paste!


 

Hello all, Martina here with another make using the That's Crafty! MDF uprights!  I have decided that these little pieces of art are fabulous gifts to give instead of cards, so I think I will be making lots more from now on...

I decided to have a play with a few different products on my project, as I was feeling adventurous and bold...odd I know! I started by using the Brick Repeat Stencil from That's Crafty and randomly spreading some Structure Paste through small sections. I taped over the bottom tabs of the upright, so that I did not get any paste on them (otherwise I would struggle to put the MDF together later!)


I wanted to add some texture to the smooth sections left over, so I coated all the MDF in Café Crème Rusty Patina and let dry.


The next step was to make a 'dirty wash' effect over the whole piece. I used a small amount of Slate Grey Americana Acrylic Paint and mixed into a wash with some water. I spread the wash over the piece, letting the water sit in the brick spaces to add depth and dimension. 


Now that my background was complete, I started to think about the feature elements. I used some more Structure Paste and spread through the PaperArtsy PS060 Stencil. Once dry I coloured the flowers with some markers from my stash and added some Stickles. Where I felt there were gaps, I stamped some little sprigs from the Kay Carley EKC05 Stamp Set in Black and Green Archival Ink.



To add some more dimension and layering, I also stamped and coloured some of the flowers onto Super Smooth Card. Once these were cut out, I used my embossing tool to shape them and some 3D glue to adhere. The final touch was a sentiment from the Kay Carley EKC07 Set.



There we have it! A small piece to give to someone rather than a a card. That way it is something that can stay on display!

Lisa is taking bookings for the next two workshops at Grove Green. You can find the information about them HERE and there are still places on the July classes, information HERE.

She is taking the mobile shop to the Barton's Point Model Flying Spectacular on July 8 and 9, she'll be demoing on both days, so if you fancy a fun family day out, that's the place to be!


See you next week!
Love
Martina
xxx



Slate Grey AAEclectica by Kay Carley - EKC07 Eclectica by Kay Carley - EKC05 MDF Upright - Decorative TopDinky Stencil - Brick RepeatStructure Paste ICPA Stencil PS060 (EKC) Stickles Grape CrushWendy Vecchi Archival Mini Ink Pads Kit 2Rusty Patina - Cafe Creme Super Smooth White

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.