Thursday 17 September 2015

Dylusions, Masterboards, Stencils, Stamps and Die-Cuts!


Good morning crafty ladies and gents! How quickly is this year flying past? The nights are drawing in and I am seeing that hint of the 'C' word appearing all around us yet again...

This week I am looking in more depth at how to create a masterboard from scratch. As we have already discovered there is no 'wrong' way as such, so please use any ideas you like as a starting point and go exploring with your own crafty goodies!

As it is likely there are going to be a lot of layers of paint etc. used when creating a masterboard, it is wise to start with a good base layer. I used Anne Marie Designs Super Smooth Card Stock (300 gsm) and this proved great at absorbing the paint, giving a sturdy, smooth finish.


I have applied all my Dylusions Paint using a Speedball Brayer. This does give a very different effect compared to the Woodware Mini Brayer. The Speedball applies the paint in a much denser way, taking the paint right into the softness of the roller. After using both versions I am now spoilt for choice and have both..!
You really do not need much paint at all when applying onto cardstock. I have used only a few drops of Lemon Zest Dylusions Paint here and brayered into the craft sheet. You can apply with brayers, sponges, foam, daubers, wipes, or whatever you have to hand. Ignore the streaks and the gaps, these will come into their own later to add dimension and interest into your piece. This is no time for perfection!


My next layer was applied in much the same way using Bubblegum Pink Dylusions Paint. It does not look like it here through, as I have not left any drying time and the lemon paint has blended with the pink. Totally unintentional I fully admit, but I quite like my 'peach melba' effect! You will see the difference in colour density when paint is applied to dry layers later on...


As I wanted to add lots of detail and more paint, I needed to mute my background main colours a little. The best way to do this I have found is to use white to lighten the darkest areas of your board. You do not have to use it all over, it's up to you. When I tried this on my first masterboard I used a gesso product rather than the White Linen Dylusions Paint, and was really disappointed! The gesso, although a good quality one, did not blend as well as the paint and left a more grainy, uneven effect. They do say you need the right tools for the job and in this case I agree; it is worth buying the proper White Linen Dylusions Paint.


Now in come the stencils you have in your stash! My apologies, I have no idea where I got the stencil above from, it is an old faithful swirly one... Lisa has loads in her classes to play with and also in her on-line shop, so have a browse! I have used the Lemon Zest Paint again and applied using a Tim Holtz Blending Tool. Again, you only need a little of the paint, (take from the lid) and it is best to work into the sponge so that it is not dripping wet. If the sponge is too wet it will seep under your stencil (trust me here...). I tried using foam, but the cramp in my hand and the varied effect led me back to the blending tool. Tip: wash your sponges otherwise they go rock hard!


Back to the Bubblegum Pink Dylusions Paint here, and you can see the colour difference when it is applied to dry layers! This time I have used a TCW Stencil (Lisa has similar ones in stock). 


Same stencil again, different section and using the White Linen Dylusions Paint. Overlapping is fine, there are no rules and I love distressed 'non-perfect' looks (just as well really!). Tip: you will be moving your stencil around the page over other areas that you have stenciled. Wait for them to dry or they will smudge! The paper may also stick to your stencil and come away if it is really wet. Blast with a heat gun if you are eager! If you do make a 'boo boo' don't panic, you will probably not be using the masterboard in its entirety anyway, so just ignore that bit...


Now you have your masterboard you can make what you like! Use it as backing papers, chop it up, use sections, add stamps, really go for it! I wanted to use my detailed masterboard in this case to make a simple card, so decided to use sections of it. I used a die that I had to cut some plain hearts from the board. Use the same 'sandwich' in your machine as normal, the paint is not heavy. It will also die-cut well and not crack. You can choose the areas of the board that you like.


Next step was to use more of the same base cardstock, cutting a square to fit inside a 6x6 blank. I used one of the stamps from the Hobby Art Decorative Backgrounds set, stamping the dashed line several times in Versafine Black Onyx Ink and heat embossing with clear detail powder. I have also used another stamp from a Hobby Art set for the greeting to the right. To tie the hearts into the rest of the card I have used a fine black pen to add similar dashes all around the edges. Tip: It is worth noting that the paint was designed originally for use in journals and as a medium that you could doodle and journal over, so had to be easy to write onto with a variety of pens!


Final stage - assembly! Using another section of the masterboard I have matted my panel and applied to the card blank all using Cosmic Shimmer Dries Clear Glue. Use as many of your hearts as you wish and play with the layout. Some gems from my stash to draw-out the pink and my card is done! Lots left from my original masterboard, and if you are frugal you can make at least 2 of these cards from one sheet (cut your hearts from the middle of your matted layer!).

A card of contrast: detailed backing to make a simple card!

I really hope you have enjoyed my post, do have a play and show us your creations on the Lisa B. Designs Facebook Page! Please also enter our blog challenge and you could win £20 worth of goodies of your choice!

Love
Martina
xx


Super Smooth White Mini Brayer Lemon Zest White Linen  Bubblegum PinkMini Blending ToolsDecorative Backgrounds VersaFine Ink pad - Onyx Black Cosmic Shimmer Dries Clear Acrylic Glue - 30ml




6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this card, Martina. It is stunning. Gorgeous colour combination & the stencilled layers look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, trying new things with colours...not as bold as you yet! Xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow, your card is so striking, and your master board fantastic, thankyou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card Martina, the colours are stunning as usual, brilliant x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you x It's lovely seeing all the cards from everyone, they are all so different x

      Delete
  4. From a very painty background to a CAS card... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.