Good morning all! Getting close to the 'big day' now and it feels like a race to the finish!
I always seem to be inspired at shows by the array of beautifully decorated MDF projects sitting on the stalls and end up buying lots of pieces to create. I now have a HUGE drawer of them, so I thought I might have a go at decorating one with Starlight Paints this month...
I have used Menthol Starlight Paint as the base colour for my piece and applied directly onto the MDF. The paint is quite opaque, so there is no need to apply gesso first and there was no need for two coats of paint either (maybe you might need to if you use a very light colour?).
Next, I have used a brayer to coat a piece of Super Smooth White Card with Orange Oxidised Starlight Paint, die-cut some poinsettias from this and embossed them all in various sizes. You can die-cut first and then paint, it's entirely up to you. Once the paint was dry, I have then applied a thin layer of Platinum Starlight Paint, using a paint brush, to half of the die-cut flowers. I have done this to add a bit of contrast, but you could easily add another colour into the mix if you would rather! For the flower 'middles', (the 'proper' name escapes me) despite hundreds of embellishments in my drawers (ooh er!) I could not find a colour I liked! No problem, I painted some Clear Diamond Gems with the paint as well and problem sorted...
I wanted to add some leaves to my flowers, and did not have a darker paint to use, so I improvised and die-cut some leaves from a green card stock. The matt card was too harsh against my painted work so far, so I painted the leaves with Platinum Starlight Paint. I did not like the coverage at first, (too heavy/thick) so on an impulse I used a baby wipe to take some off (see below). Random I know, and I am sure not a recognised technique, (!) but I achieved what I wanted!
Next, I wanted to try and add a little detail to one of the letters with a stencil. Wanting everything to co-ordinate, I used some of the Orange Oxidised Starlight Paint and mixed with some Sweet Poppy Pearlescent Dimension Paste. You don't need much of the paint, as it is highly pigmented.
Once happy with the colour, I have applied with a spatula through a stencil that I liked.
Final touches, some die-cut branches and cones and some beaded pearl strands.
The final piece in its entirety, all assembled with a glue gun for a secure hold. Not as daunting as first thought, the paints making for quick and easy, effective coverage!
I hope you like it, not the traditional colours I know, but I like the effect and it's nice to use 'alternative' colours sometimes!
Lots of love and thank you for reading,