Tuesday 19 November 2013

Winter Robin

Hello crafters, Kirsten here.
This was intended to be a mini tutorial, until I discovered that half of the photos were rubbish – the light was terrible when I was working on today’s post. I shall try to explain clearly what I did.
 
 
This is the Winter Robin image from Hobby Art. I stamped it with black Archival & it stamps perfectly. I’ve been using water colour pencils a lot on my own projects recently, so I thought I’d share a few tips.  Focusing on the pots, firstly colour all over them with a light colour, I used a mustard yellow pencil.


006

 
Then colour the shaded area with a light brown, followed by a darker brown. Colour a few other areas of the pots with the light brown pencil also. When you’re happy go back over the pots with the mustard yellow. This blends all the colours & removes any harsh lines.


007

 
I did the same thing with the holly leaves & berries. I coloured the robin’s red breast with a pale pink pencil first, followed by two shades of red & finished with the pink.
 

008

 
I used a grey pencil very lightly to give definition to the snowy areas & added highlights with a white pen.
 

009

 
Two things about colouring pencils; they will give the impression of texture if you vary the strokes between light & heavy & if you let each layer ‘dry’ for a few seconds you can build a very effective depth of colour – that sounds strange, I know, because you’re using the pencils dry already, but trust me, it works.
 
 
I embossed a piece of white card with the Embossalicious lattice EF & die cut a circle from the centre & attached the image to a piece of red core’dinations underneath.

011

 
Next, I tried the same colouring techniques on a piece of kraft card, using mostly browns & then the white pencil in addition to the white pen as highlighters.
 

010


I embellished both pieces with Star Dust & Xmas Red stickles.


012

 
Glitter Glue - Xmas RedGlitter Glue - Stardust  Lattice - 6" x 6" Embossing Folder  Pens and Pencils  
 
 
Thanks for looking. Keep in mind the blog challenge if you're doing any crafting this week, we’ve had a gorgeous selection of entries so far.
 
Until next time, happy crafting,
 
Kirsten

1 comment:

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.