Tuesday 9 July 2013

White Fluffy Clouds


Good morning, happy Tuesday, Kirsten here. 
I hope you’re all enjoying the wonderful weather – summer is finally here!  I must admit, it was a little too hot outside for me on Sunday, but that meant I got to enjoy all the tension & excitement of Andy Murray winning the Wimbledon Men’s Singles Championship.  What a great match it was.

Today I’d like to show you a card I made with the That Special Touch Clouds stencil.
It's one of my favourite stencils, but when you apply ink or paint through it that’s the colour the clouds will be.  What happens if you want white clouds?

2013-07-07 001 2013-07-07 001

Answer; ink the stencil.  Here you can see that I covered the stencil with Distress ink, it stays wet for quite a while on the stencil, so you have plenty of working time.

2013-07-07 001 2013-07-07 003

Next cover the stencil with your chosen surface, here it’s white card stock.  Do this carefully keeping the stencil still & once the card is on top try not to move that either.  Put a sheet of copy paper on top & then roll a brayer over that, pushing down quite firmly.

2013-07-07 001 2013-07-07 004

When you’ve done that a few times, remove the copy paper, lift the card stock & see what you’ve got.  You won’t get a perfect result, but it will have a textured appearance & the clouds will be white.  So, if you have stencils & you haven’t tried this technique, why not have a go?  Try different inks & see what results you get.  And if you don’t have a brayer, try a bottle or jar.  You could also try the flat of your hand, but make sure you use your other hand to keep the paper, card & stencil still.

Use a baby wipe to clean the stencil afterwards, or put it in water & clean it later.  And wipe it dry on a flat surface, so you don’t break the mylar.

2013-07-07 001 2013-07-07 006

I had decided to make a bright, summery card so my next step was to use the cloud dies from Joy Crafts to cut out areas of the card. 

2013-07-07 001 2013-07-07 007

Here’s the finished card.  I attached the stencilled card with foam pads to another piece which I had dry embossed.  The Kanban butterflies were stamped with distress ink, covered with clear embossing powder & heat set.  I used blue wire from my stash to make the body & antenna.  When I decided to add the Hobby House Flowers I edged the white ones with the yellow distress ink that was already on the blending tool.

2013-07-07 001 2013-07-07 008


Key Mask - That Special Touch 6" x 6"  Cutting Die - (3pc) Clouds  STAMP03 Butterflies  Mulberry Flowers - Ivory Blue  WA01 Clear Gloss


Thanks for continuing to visit the blog.  We’ve had the first entries in this month’s challenge, if you’d like to join them  - and we’d love you to – all the details are HERE
The Craft Extravaganza day on July 20th is coming ever closer, we’re hoping to see lots of you, so make a note of the date if you haven’t already done so.

Until next time, happy crafting.
Kirsten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.