Hello everyone, it's Thursday already. I hope your week is going well so far. If you've been getting crafty, we'd love to see your projects, so why not post a link to your blog, Flickr or Photobucket site, in the comments below?
I felt the need to take a little break from the Christmas cards, but had no ideas, so I grabbed some Distress Stains & went from there.
For those of you who haven't used the stains before, they are liquid distress inks & the most basic thing you can do with them is cover a large surface in seconds. And that surface can be plain paper, patterned paper, cardboard, kraft card, canvas & fabric. I chose a piece of thin canvas.
I covered the canvas in Tumbled Glass distress stain & dried with a heat tool. You can use the stains on a dry or a wet surface - spritz the surface with water, apply the stain & dry thoroughly. You will get a different finish with each method.
Next I applied the Dusty Concord stain through the stencil & dried the canvas. The stain will stay wet on the stencil, so all you have to do is wipe it off with a cloth or paper towel. If you forget & the stain dries, simply mist the stencil with water. That reactivates the stain & you can wipe it off easily.
Here's the canvas after I die cut it. I edged it with Dusty Concord distress ink - because distress inks are translucent you can use them on top of the stains.
When I was playing with the stains I got an idea for a little wall hanging. I cut a square of mountboard for the base & stamped a Kanban flourish around the edge, applied gold embossing powder & heat set.
I seldom use glitter on my projects - it's even messier than gilding flakes - but I wanted to add some bling to the bird & the cage & I thought this blue glitter went with the background. I used the same flourish stamp & gold EP on the bird & blended Walnut Stain DI to colour it. I embossed the cage with a crackle embossing folder & used Rusty Hinge DI on top.
Quickie glue pens are perfect for detail work & I let it go tacky before sprinkling the glitter on top. It was very tempting to start brushing off the excess glitter immediately, but I was patient & waited for the glue to dry.
The flowers are die cut scallops of core'dinations card, wrapped tightly around a brad, then unfurled.
And here's the finished piece. I didn't have buttons in the colour I wanted, so I used a Spectrum Noir pen. Sorry for the poor photo, the light is terrible this week, we haven't had even a minute of sunshine.
Thanks for visiting the blog. If you're attending the Hobbycrafts show at the SECC in Glasgow, stop by the J & C Creations stand, where Lisa is demonstrating & say hello.
Until next time, take care.