Thursday 26 November 2015

Using Starlight Paint with Stencils and Dies

 
Good morning crafty friends! Back to my roots today with a theme that features a lot in my cards: fairies. A perfect theme to pair with Imagination Craft's Starlight Paints, as you can't have fairies without a little glitter!
 
Starlight Paint is a very versatile medium and I thought I would test it further and try using it for yet more applications. The encapsulated sparkle contained within the paint seems to lend itself to stencilling (when used sparingly), and also die-cuts really well. The metallic flake contained within the paint bends and cuts without shedding at all. There is no cracking or flaking and you can apply heat (heat emboss on top of it) without it bubbling or distorting. Have a see what you think...
 
 
The first stage of my card was to choose a stencil (this one is from Sweet Poppy) and place where I wanted it on my card stock. I also masked off certain sections as I did not want to use all of the stencil. I used a palette knife to take a little Dark Orchid Starlight Paint and place on a Heat Resistant Craft Mat. Using a Blending Tool and sponge, I then worked the paint deep into the sponge so that there were no 'blobs' and it almost looked too dry. Tip: don't let your paint dry on the sponge when you're done, be sure to wash it out for its next use!

 
Using gentle pouncing motions, I applied the paint through the stencil. You can see in the picture above my first attempt was fine at the top, but I was too heavy with the paint at the bottom and it seeped out and made a mess; be patient and you soon get a feel for it! Once dry the paint gives an almost sparkly ink effect.

 
My next stage was to stamp the Lavinia Fairy Dust stamp into position with Versamark Ink. I then heat embossed the sentiment using Wow Metallic Silver Powder. I also applied more Versamark Ink all around the edge of my topper directly from the pad, and heat embossed this as well. I like the 'randomness' of this look for edges of cards!

 
The next stage was to paint some Cyclamen Starlight Paint and Dark Orchid Starlight Paint onto Super Smooth card using a paintbrush. Once this was dry I stamped some flowers using Versamark Ink and heat embossed in the same way as before. I used a die to cut out the flowers out.


 
Once all the flowers were cut out, I used an embossing tool to add some dimension and layered them up onto my finished card with a pearl middle.

 
To bring the two main paint colours together I have used the end of a paintbrush to randomly dot small amounts of paint all around the main swirl. I also die-cut a Tonic fairy from my Starlight Cyclamen painted card and added some Silver Halo Glitter to define her dress before mounting her into position with foam tape.
 
Very girly, pink and glittery!
 
Thank you for reading
Love
Martina
xx
 
Dark OrchidHeat Resistant Mat Mini Ink Blending ToolFairy DustVersamark Ink PadWC05 Metallic SilverSuper Smooth WhiteCyclamenHalo Glitter - Silver
 
 
 
 
 


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for more tips on these incredible versatile starlight paints. The finished card is a real beauty. I have struggled with using the paint through a stencil so off to give your very welcome idea a go...thanks again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it helps! It did take me a few goes, so don't get too disheartened xx

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful card Martina..........I love it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty card! Great tips too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely magical card Martina xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to use starlight paints, the results are amazing. Can you tell me please, if it is safe to use starlight paints on an MDF wreath to use for Advent Candles.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.